Saturday, July 10, 2010

In Comrat

This weekend I am at my future site of Comrat. It is about the size of Fairbanks but with a lot more fruit, veggies, shops, and fields. Plus a whole lot less winter. I am staying with the family that will be my host family when I come to live in Comrat after PST. Today I got to meet with the director (what we would call a principal), the vice-director, and a French teacher who speaks excelent English. She also teaches a couple of the lower form English classes. She is the one who took me around the city and showed me where to find everything I might need or want. This is also the first time I have been completely surrounded by Russian. In the town where I am living for PST it is mostly Romanian speakers, which I kind of like because it gives me an opportunity to pick up on some Romanian. But for overall exposure to Russian it has been a little hard. This trip has also given me a really good view of all the language skills I really need to work on before I am done with PST. It is becoming apparentent that motion verbs (there is more than one verb for to go) are really important and deserve a large amount of my attention.
At any rate I am really looking forward to coming back to Comrat in the fall. I am also really looking forward to having a fall. :) (those of you from AK know what I am talking about) I also got a little view of the school where I will be teaching and an idea of how many students. Since the bulk of students are in Russian schools our school has very few students. In terms of class size that means I am going to have small classes. I feel like that is going to be wonderful. Of course it is just speculation right now.
Everyone I have met has been absolutely wonderful. My host family here has been interested in AK and my Comrat host mom and I spent close to an hour and a half looking up things about AK and pictures and such on the internet. I managed to forget all my interesting AK things back in Ialoveni.
I also wanted to mention that right now the sunflower fields are blooming. Imagine if you can acres of sunflowers all in bloom. That is what I drove through for a large part of the day yesterday. Beautiful! If i was looking for a more beautiful country I don't think I could have found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment