Saturday, July 31, 2010

Practice school

Now we enter the time of practice school.  This is my first real experience teaching children and I must say that I had a rocky start.  I know that I was not really prepared to take on the molding of young children's minds but I may just have a good start when practice school is over.  I have been lucky to be able to work with a Moldovan teacher who helps me through the thorny bits of dealing with a large group of 10 year olds.  Practice school, for those who don't know, is where we, the volunteers, practice teaching Moldovan children.  These are children who volunteer (or their parents volunteer them) to come to like what would be considered an English summer camp for about 7 days.  I am working with the 5th form, which is full of students around 10 yeards old.  And I must say that my students are great.  Some of them are so eager to learn.  But they are also exhausting, they are a group of 10 year olds.  

Mostly what I have to say at this point is that I am a little tired, we go, go, go, go.  It is great but exhausting.  But as someone reminded me, "You didn't sign up to rest!  You signed up to work!"  Of course this person was making fun of me, but the statement rings true.  

On another note the weather has sort of mellowed out.  I think most days it is around 85 degrees not 95 or I have seriously begun to adjust to the weather.  I am going to say that it is more likely that it has just cooled off.  

I hope everyone is doing well and I will try to have some interesting things to say in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment